Purpose of Position:
This position is primarily focused on providing support and service to internal clients, ensuring the effective and efficient co-ordination of information. The Accounting Coordinator will work towards the achievement of Churchbridge Credit Union goals and objectives by providing high quality accounting and administrative support, under supervision of the CEO. This position performs a variety of moderately complex accounting functions as well as lending support and administrative aid to credit union personnel.
Currently this position will complete the Accounting Assistant duties 50% of the time and will cover for the Accounting Assistant during absences. The remaining time in the position will be spent on more complex accounting functions. The goal of the candidate in this position will be to advance their skills and education in order to assume the balance of complex accounting duties that are currently outsourced.
The Accounting Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring activities are in compliance with all sound business practices, legislation, regulations, by-laws, policies, and procedures.
Key Responsibility Areas:
Accounting Support Services
- Conduct all day-to-day accounting functions and tasks for the credit union.
- Maintain, monitor, and reconcile various general ledger (GL) and holding accounts; prepare and process required accounting entries and month-end adjusting entries as required.
- Work with staff to resolve any issues or errors; work to develop procedures to ensure errors are infrequent and work processes are improved.
- Working practical knowledge of reporting systems such as DRVA, CORS, FAS and C-view.
- Gather and present information to the Asset-Liability Committee (ALCO) and follow through on ALCO committee investment instructions.
- Be the “point of contact” for our third-party finance department.
- Process interest rate changes as directed by the CEO.
- Support the day-to-day cash management and forecasting.
- Provide back-up support in managing and monitoring investments and borrowings.
- Assist in preparation and production of support documents and files for month-end and year-end financial statements and regulatory reports.
- Assist in identifying any areas of financial concern for the credit union.
- Ensure the safekeeping of records to meet the requirements of outside regulatory bodies. Ensure that a systematic process is in place for their retention and disposal.
- Assist in the management of the relationship and acts as liaison between the credit union and its external auditors and regulators when required.
- Input and administration of exchange rates.
- Prepare and maintain government remittances/filings, accounts payable, and other similar transaction.
Administration Support Services
- Adhere to all security standards as they relate to the position including specified combinations.
- Provide overall administrative support services to the credit union.
- Administer the Records Management Framework regarding the retention and destruction of records across all branches.
- Review administration, department and position procedures and guides as required.
- Participate in the Pelmetta TEAM and Heart of Coaching programs by utilizing the skills and knowledge from these programs in your everyday duties to provide excellent internal and external member service.
- Maintain a general understanding of credit union products and services and relevant policies and legislation by regularly reviewing literature and attending informational meetings.
- Differentiate between credit union and competitors’ products and services
- Appropriately promote the credit union and its products and services during off hours.
- Provide support in the tracking of targets or marketing efforts.
Department, Branch, and Credit Union Support
- Work effectively with fellow employees, share ideas and information and support the development of peers and credit union objectives.
- Actively participate in department, branch, and credit union meetings.
- Work to meet the strategic objectives as established annually by the Credit Union Board of Directors.
- Complete all Annual Compliance and other assigned training and comply with all regulatory requirements including Market Code, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Privacy, and Code of Conduct.
- Provide backup support, training, and assistance in problem solving to team members as required.
- Continual improvement of self and team by utilizing TEAM, Heart of Coaching, and the Winning Way.
Decision Making and Freedom to Act
Under general supervision, guided by established standards and procedures, the work is varied and occasionally complex. Normal decision making is required with the use of some judgement amongst a wide variety of guidelines.
- Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills dealing with a variety of team members.
- Willingness to learn and continually build their technical and professional knowledge
- Goal orientated
- Strong analytical, problem solving, organizational and time management skills.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly
- Work independently
- Successfully obtained an Accounting Diploma from a recognized business program with the desire to achieve a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce with a major in Accounting.
- Minimum 2 years of accounting related experience
- Working knowledge of trial balances, general ledger (GL) databases, financial statements close processes and accounting matters
- Understanding of payroll, bookkeeping and record keeping practices
- Advanced Excel knowledge.
- CUIC 201 – The Credit Unions: Different by Design
- CUIC 185 – Products & Services
- Heart of Coaching
- Sales and Service Program course
- Continuing education to complete Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce with a major in Accounting. Assistance with cost of education to be discussed.
Note: this job profile is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet on-going needs of the organization.
To apply for this position please send your resume by November 30, 2021, to the attention of:
Ryan Tebbutt, CEO
Churchbridge Credit Union, Churchbridge Branch
Box 260, Churchbridge, SK S0A 0M0
Only individuals who have been selected for interviews will be contacted.