Talka Credit Union
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posting Date: February 9, 2022
Closing Date: February 22, 2022
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Employment Type: Permanent Full-Time
Talka Credit Union Limited (Talka) is an Ontario credit union that has proudly served the Lithuanian and Hamilton communities for over 65 years. Originally established as a closed bond credit union, Talka changed its bond of association to become an open bond credit union in 2012. Talka is a growing, financially sound credit union with total assets over $210 million and a strong strategic vision and business model that appeals to our member/owners.
Talka’s mission is to provide a trusted financial environment to its members wherever they are and whenever they need us while promoting social and economic support to our community. Our vision is to stay true to our co-operative heritage and we value being our member’s trusted financial partner; accountable to our members; providing leadership in our communities; having knowledgeable courteous staff; and accessible products and services.
Assumes responsibility for the accounting functions, staff payroll, and financial reporting for the credit union. Specifically, prepares monthly annual financial statements; compiles accounting and statistical financial data, analyses and interprets results and documentation; assists with the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets; monitors budget on an ongoing basis, analyses variances; administers the credit union’s investment portfolio; monitors and manages credit union accounts payable and general ledger accounts; oversees staff payroll; provides assistance and answer questions to auditors; monitors accounting policies and standards and recommends changes to enhance data integrity and interpretation. Assists with the implementation of projects to improve business processes and efficiency.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for preparation of financial statements and reports identifying any areas of financial concern regarding the credit union.
- Co-ordinate preparation of budgets and the financial forecasts for the credit union.
- Responsible for external investments and borrowings.
- Leads the Asset Liability & Enterprise Risk Management functions at Talka.
- Develops and recommends changes to policies and procedures in the areas of accounting and administration.
- Develops, recommends, and audits internal financial controls and procedures to minimize risk exposure.
- Acts as the key point of contact for both the internal and external auditors. Ensure they have all the information they need to complete the audit in a timely manner.
- Assist with the execution of business improvement projects.
- University degree in Business, Accounting, or Economics.
- CPA designation or working towards.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive accounting experience.
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and facilitation skills.
- Strong proficiency with computers (MS Office – Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Knowledge of financial services systems/environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter in confidence by February 22, 2022, to:
Ron Smith, Chief Executive Officer | 830 Main St. East, Hamilton, ON, L8M 1L6
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.