Chief Retail and Business Officer
BlueShore Financial is a boutique financial institution, helping our clients improve their financial well-being with a full range of personal and business banking, wealth management, insurance and commercial lending solutions. Serving clients from our Financial Spa® branches located in Vancouver and Burnaby, across the North Shore, Whistler and the Sea-to-Sky region, we administer $7 billion in assets under administration and have been consistently ranked among the top 20 financial planning firms in Metro Vancouver. Our combination of customized solutions, expert advisors and dedication to long-term client relationships foster an environment of financial wellness for the communities we serve. We have an exciting job opportunity to lead BlueShore’s evolving client strategy as the Chief Retail and Business Officer (CRBO).
Reporting to the CEO, this position provides overall leadership and input to strategy, vision and future business direction as a member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT). The primary accountability of this role is to oversee all retail branches including business, call centre operations and wealth management to support the client experience and the attainment of corporate goals. The CRBO liaises closely with information technology and marketing & communications to identify high impact opportunities for the client experience through digital and channel transformation complementary to the branch experience.
Our ideal candidate will have a diverse range of business competencies at the executive level and be an agile life-long learner who thrives in an ever-changing financial services environment.
Employee Type: Full Time
Closing Date: August 9, 2022
Job Category: Executive Leadership Team
Location: BlueShore Financial Head Office – North Vancouver
Key responsibilities of this role are:
- Develops and leads the execution of long term business strategies, considering corporate goals, complex external factors, client and employee engagement, risk assessment, and evolving regulatory and legal requirements.
- Participates as an active member of the Executive Leadership Team by contributing to enterprise wide and departmental strategies, adding value from a strategic client perspective while maintaining an enterprise-wide view.
- Oversees client-facing departments and branches consisting of over 225 employees, serving 40,000 clients, and is accountable for the structure, hiring, training and capacity of the banking team.
- Identifies and leads the client engagement strategies to advance BlueShore Financial’s vision and goals, including identifying high impact opportunities for digital and channel transformation.
- Monitors, recommends actions and/or maintains profit and loss responsibility.
- Advises ELT and the Board of key client risks, opportunities and mitigation strategies involved in setting corporate strategy.
- Accountable for compliance with audit and security standards, policies and procedures across the retail network. Maintains loan and investment quality in conjunction with credit approval.
- Identifies, interprets and leads the change initiatives, employing and implementing best practices and project leadership / sponsorship techniques.
- Proactively coaches direct reports to assist them in achieving career success and growth; provides development opportunities through access to learning sessions, internal and external training, and education. Ensures each employee has a learning plan in place and results are achieved.
- Leads by example through actions consistent with BlueShore’s leadership competencies such as agility, strategic thinking, emotional intelligence and people development.
- Oversees the development of methodologies to interpret client data, measure opportunities and risks, and provide quantitative and qualitative analysis to business and executive teams.
- Leverages tools that identify, align, and build on BlueShore Financial’s client engagement capabilities in order to protect BlueShore Financial’s interests and brand.
- Shares results of analyses with others across BlueShore to enable data-driven decision making and support the BlueShore Financial Digital Strategy.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of BlueShore Financial products, services, policies and procedures as it pertains to branch/business unit operations.
- Maintains a solid knowledge of the latest industry trends and best practices, ensuring optimal performance of the Business, Retail and Wealth departments, which in turn influences various departments and business overall.
- Plays an active role as a participant and thought leader in industry events, seminars, interviews and workshops.
- In partnership with the CRO, monitors federal and provincial legislations in addition to evolving legal requirements. Ensures compliance with applicable provincial and federal regulations, disclosure requirements, and Market Code of Conduct.
- Ensures alignment of current industry trends with strategic direction of the organization and by providing insights and oversight in the spirit continuous improvement.
Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years directly related leadership experience in the financial services industry
(minimum of 5 years at the strategic level)
- Successful experience working with Boards of Directors and Board Committees
- University degree or related diploma, graduate degree preferred
- Certified Financial Planning Certification preferred
- Partners, Directors and Officers (PDO) or similar securities education preferred
- Proven experience in advisory services for retail and commercial lending, deposits, and investments
- Strong relationship management and advocacy skills
- Proven leadership skills and ability to influence at all levels of the organization
- Experience in large scale change management
- Superior communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strategic vision and thinking; strong capacity for strategic analysis
What can BlueShore Financial can do for you?
- Opportunity to lead a unique and differentiated client proposition offer in the credit union industry.
- Competitive compensation including an executive bonus program which pays a variable cash reward recognizing short and long term incentives.
- Comprehensive Total Rewards including pension, flexible benefits, wellness programs, hybrid work, and social/community engagement opportunities.
- Opportunity to be a key contributor and leader in a world class, award winning organization.
What BlueShore Financial needs from you:
- Proven depth of experience in financial services at the executive level.
- Thrives in a dynamically changing environment.
- Demonstrated lifelong learner.
- Engages and inspires others with purpose.
- Accountability in all directions.
- Fosters inclusiveness.
Got awards? At BlueShore Financial we are constantly innovating, connecting and improving to deliver exceptional client and employee experiences. As a result, we have grown to become an award-winning organization, garnering both local and national accolades for our progressive practices.
Be Richly Valued. At BlueShore Financial, our employees are as important as our clients. We strive to create a workplace culture of openness, empowerment, trust and passion. Our values unite our organization and are our guiding compass. But, it is our exceptional staff that bring our corporate values to life. They are passionate about delivering exceptional client service and a banking experience that promises to impress. And this level of engagement shows. We’ve received numerous Kincentric “Best Employer in Canada” awards and have been inducted into Waterstone Human Capital’s “Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures” Hall of Fame.