The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a member of the Senior Leadership Team who provides leadership, oversight and coordination of Finance and Accounting for Northern Savings Credit Union. This leader translates business strategies into goals, objectives, and processes to affect sound and prudent financial health of the Credit Union all in an effort to ensure exemplary member service.
This business unit leader is responsible for financial management of the credit union, maintaining market and industry knowledge, providing for engagement of employees, managing the operations to be efficient and effective, taking action to mitigate current and emerging risks, and providing for financial health of the unit and financial health of the Credit Union as a whole.
The CFO is to conduct their duties while demonstrating positive leadership within the Credit Union and externally in the community. The CFO is to inspire the employees of the business unit to achieve their maximum potential and produce results in the best interest of the credit union while respecting the members.
- Overall responsibility for effective functioning of the business unit at attaining stated objectives while contributing to setting of the strategic direction
- Leads development of finance, treasury and accounting programs, which are cost effective and provide good return to the Credit Union
- Provide technical direction in all areas of financial and accounting and resolve complex problems referred by staff.
- Manage and monitor investments and borrowings, including daily cash balances.
- Manage and monitor the matching of assets and liabilities.
- Ensure compliance with sound business practice, all regulations, by-laws, policies and procedures.
- Develops relevant management level policy for the business unit and for particular aspects for the credit union as a whole and assists in the development of governing level policy.
- Ensures business units operate within defined budgets
- Identifies process improvements and implements such and shares internally.
- Ensure professional image of units to members and internal customers.
- Continually markets the benefits of membership to non-members to grow the membership
- In conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team, provide recommendations and opportunities that may enhance financial management.
- Oversee preparation of financial statements and reports, accounting and statistical data.
- Identify any areas of financial concern for the credit union.
- Document current and projected financial performance.
- Lead in the development of annual operating and capital budgets and the financial forecasts for credit union; monitor performance in relation to budget.
- Ensure the safekeeping of records to meet the requirements of outside regulatory bodies and ensure that a systematic process is in place for their retention and disposal.
- Develop, recommend, and audit internal financial controls and procedures to minimize risk exposure.
- Liaises with the member appointed external auditors and cooperates with the auditors in providing for an efficient and effective audit process
Risk Management and Financial Health
- Implement and maintain effective risk management processes and reporting as they related to finance and treasury that are consistent with BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA)
- Identifies the inherent risks which the business unit has responsibility for and develops appropriate responses and mitigation of those risks.
- Works with managers of branches (retail, insurance, business services) on pricing, analysis, and provision of information to enable them to manage profitability and results of their business units.
- Provides information to the CEO and the Board to enable them to be aware of liquidity, interest rate, foreign exchange, investment, capital and financial risks and the management of those risks.
- Maintains confidentiality over information as appropriate to the sensitivity of the information and within privacy requirements.
Knowledge of Market and Industry
- Maintain up to date knowledge of markets with regards to services, products, rates, and fees.
- Maintain knowledge of current market activity locally and nationally in order to identify opportunities for Northern Savings.
- Maintain knowledge of economic factors and implications for the behaviour of current markets locally, nationally, and globally.
- Develops and fosters key relationships within the credit union system and with key Northern Savings partners.
Education & Experience
- University degree is required
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) required
- Four to six years of related management experience
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive financial services experience is required.
- Expert knowledge of Finance & Accounting and their regulatory requirements is required.
- Experience evaluating and drafting policy and procedures is preferred.
- Extensive experience in evaluating all aspects of Financial Management at a corporate level is required.
The right candidate would enjoy all the experiences that Northern BC has to offer. Located in Prince Rupert, which offers BC’s spectacular outdoor playgrounds. Whether you love fishing, kayaking, hiking or skiing, or just want to escape the city life and enjoy affordable living while soaking in fantastic views. Occasional travel to the island of Haida Gwaii, Canada’s own archipelago habitat would be required as two of our branches are located on this historical and culturally rich part of the province.
Travel is a requirement of this position.
For full copy of the job description please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note we will only contact individuals for an interview.