Together, Let’s Do Great Things!
We’re the largest financial institution based on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, and we’ve got an opportunity for you. We need an AVP, Commercial Credit Risk to lead our Credit Risk team. If you are passionate about leadership, credit risk, and strategic operations, we want to hear from you.
This opportunity offers the ability to work remotely from anywhere in British Columbia.
What’s the role?
As the AVP, Commercial Credit Risk you will be responsible for managing all aspects of the commercial credit risk management function including providing objective review and adjudication of commercial credit applications within credit limits or making recommendations and escalating as required. You will support an enterprise-wide risk management philosophy toward commercial credit. You will be responsible to ensure appropriate policies, procedures, and systems are developed, implemented, and maintained to identify, measure, monitor, and control commercial credit risks in accordance with the credit union’s risk appetite, board approved policies, regulatory guidelines, and internal lending guidelines and procedures. You will support the credit union’s overall objectives aimed at long-term sustainable growth and profitability. As the AVP, Commercial Credit Risk you collaborate with the SVP, Commercial Sales and Service and VP, Retail Sales and Service, to provide oversight for the Credit Risk department with a focus on 2nd level of defense on current and new initiatives and existing lines of business including credit policy, risk, and processes.
Your duties will include:
- Participating in the development and delivery of the credit risk strategic plan, annual operating plan, and budget for overall area of responsibility.
- Contributing to the oversight and assists in the development of corporate strategies and risk management and governance policies using the three lines of defense methodology while identifying short and long-term goals and objectives for the Commercial Credit Risk department.
- In conjunction with the Credit Risk management team, ensuring a well-balanced risk management culture where management and employees understand their role in the three lines of defense risk methodology.
- Establishing the overall process for approving credits, renewals and amendments and establishes approval authorities of individuals and credit approval committees. Prepares appropriate policies for approval by the Investment and Lending Committee
- Accountable to ensure that levels of risk control for the 1st and 2nd lines of defense are in place, being monitored, and regularly tested for effectiveness and compliance to mitigate risk and minimize Credit Union loan losses. Also provides rigorous review of 3rd line of defense audits to ensure risk areas are clearly and appropriately identified for the necessary mitigating response and resolution by management and lending staff.
- Accountable for Executive and Board Reports completed by Commercial Credit Risk. Through layered analysis, also provides reporting on the risk footprint and heat map of critical highly rated residual and emerging risks.
- Through identification of key risks and risk mitigation strategies, recommends adjustments to risk management and compliance policies and practices as required to ensure alignment with existing and any recalibration of corporate risk tolerances.
What are we looking for?
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline (e.g. Commerce and Business Administration) requiring –a minimum of 4 years of full-time study – or equivalent.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Advanced understanding of credit union operations, principles, and values.
Ideally, you are a flexible, collaborative team player with:
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of progressive experience managing a financial service environment: managing a diversified and increasingly complex loan portfolio, successfully developing, and managing people, and business development.
- Minimum ten (10) years in a senior Commercial Banking and/or Credit Risk role.
- Requires the ability to qualify for Senior Commercial Credit Group and Management Credit Committee approval authority as recommended by Executive management.
- Superior knowledge of business lending, other stakeholder and regulatory requirements, and approach to managing credit risk.
- Solid understanding of the competitive environment in the financial marketplace and the local communities within Coastal Community’s primary market area.
If you’re an approachable problem solver who embraces self-development and life-long learning, you’ll be a great fit with us.
Who are we?
Since first forming in 1946, Coastal Community has grown to become the largest financial services provider based on Vancouver Island. We’re proud of the legacy we’ve built and the things that make us who we are:
- We’re 100% member-owned, with all decisions made locally—right here on Vancouver Island.
- We’re a growing organization with over $4 billion in assets under management. Coastal Community helps improve the financial health of over 100,000 members and clients through our 24 branches, 16 insurance offices, 4 business centers, plus our wide range of online and digital services.
- We believe in making meaningful contributions to the communities we call home. Each year, we give over half a million to community organizations and programs.
If you join us you’ll work hard, but have a lot of fun along the way. We offer a generous compensation package and a great work/life balance because we want you to spend your career here. Many people do!