About Affinity Credit Union
We’re a Saskatchewan-born, values-based, co-operative financial institution owned by our members, for our members. Our profits live in Saskatchewan (and so do we) and our advisors are part of the communities we serve and understand local needs.
We employ a professional workforce of about 800 and are 100% member-owned. By choosing to bank with Affinity, our members know that every dollar they deposit is reinvested and circulated back into our local communities through loans to other members. We put people before profit and as such work together to build a better world for everyone, every day. We have the largest branch network in Saskatchewan with 56 locations in 47 communities, manage $8.5 billion in assets and are the 10th largest credit union in Canada.
Our Commitment to Truth and Reconciliation
With locations disbursed throughout Saskatchewan, we acknowledge our workplaces are located on treaty territories, the traditional homeland of the Cree, Dene, Lakota, Nakota, Dakota, Saulteaux and the Métis Nation the stewards of this land for generations and acknowledge this land as providing for other Indigenous nations that moved through here as well.
Affinity’s Organizational Values
Open – Accepting, Fair, Flexible, Transparent
Honest – Accountable, Ethical, Honorable, Trustworthy
Inclusive – Collaborative, Cooperative, Respectful, Supportive
Committed – Engaged, Passionate, United, Willing
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
As a values-based organization, Affinity is guided by the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. These principles drive the decision-making process, creating opportunities to live our vision of building a better world. Diversity and inclusion are the cornerstone of the organizations culture.
We encourage and welcome all applications from Indigenous persons, racially visible persons, persons with a disability, women, and persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our organization.
For more information, please visit: www.affinitycu.ca
The Opportunity, Chief Internal Auditor
Reporting to the Audit and Finance Committee of the Board of Directors with an administrative reporting relationship through the CEO, the Chief Internal Auditor provides overall leadership and direction to the Internal Audit department, Affinity Credit Union, and its subsidiaries on Internal Audit related issues.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for leading the provision of independent and objective assurance and consulting activities to the credit union, its Board, the Audit and Finance Committee, and senior executives to assist the credit union in achieving its risk and operational objectives.
You’ll also lead the evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of controls encompassing the organization’s governance, risk management process, business operations, and information systems for the parent company and its subsidiaries.
This role is responsible for leading a team of two exceptional Internal Auditors.
- Provide leadership and direction for the development, maintenance and execution of a detailed internal audit (IA) plan, as approved by and regularly reviewed with the Audit & Finance Committee (AFCO).
- Maintains independence from operations and management while consulting with management in the development of the IA plan and key audit findings.
- Oversees IA policy and procedures and ensures IA direction is aligned with the strategic plan, Board/AFCO direction, regulatory requirements and accepted strong practice, including recommending areas of continuous development for the IA function.
- Performs consulting and advisory services related to governance, risk management and controls as appropriate.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of operations, and/or the reliability and integrity of the means used to identify, measure, classify and report financial and operational information.
- Reports to AFCO and the CEO significant risk exposures and control issues, including fraud risks, governance issues, and other matters as requested by the Board and/or executive management.
- Ensures key audit findings are addressed by management with regular follow-up reporting to AFCO.
- Oversees assessment of the alignment between credit union strategic initiatives/directions and business operations and processes as reviewed within the board-approved audit plan.
- Coaches on application of a risk lens in identifying issues and causes and providing recommendations to improve organizational effectiveness/efficiency.
- Serves to advance the well-being of real people and their communities while deepening current member relationships and/or recruiting new members. Actively seeks to connect with current and potential members in our communities.
- Maintains a collaborative, member-focused culture that is conducive to individual, team and organizational achievement, operational efficiency, accountability, and alignment
Experience & Education
- Post-secondary degree in a related field, complemented with 10 years of experience in increasingly senior roles
- Advanced expertise as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) in leading internal audit and organizational controls; accounting designations (CPA) would benefit this role
- Advanced knowledge of leading practices and innovative industry developments in internal audit
- Advanced knowledge of regulated financial industry and operations
- Demonstrated alignment with the values of Affinity
Expert Advice – Provides new insights and feedback to key stakeholders to foster dialogue and make recommendations for continuous improvement. Integrates information relating to market dynamics, the financial industry, and member behaviour by utilizing area of expertise
Business Perspective – Adopts a long-term view of Affinity’s business strategy and sees the whole picture. Has a clear understanding of economic, social, cultural and demographic trends and their impact on the organization’s strategy and necessary oversight. Can adjust course as necessary.
Strategy Execution – Pulls together ideas, issues and observations through strategic insight in order to bring clarity to business leaders and facilitate decision-making.
Organizational Awareness & Relationship Management – Understands the organizational climate and understands what is and what is not possible, and how stakeholders will be impacted by decisions.
Collaboration – Desire and proven ability to make a significant impact through collaboration. Embraces collaboration as an operating style, encourages participation and fosters open dialogue. Utilizes a high degree of collaboration to make sound decisions, develop thinking beyond current boundaries and make innovative ideas practical.
Enabling Leadership – Works collaboratively with team members to achieve a common goal. Maintains and strengthens relationships with others, both inside and outside the organization. Both strategic and visionary, tactical and hands-on. A leader who develops, empowers and inspires people and grows their capacity as professionals.
Integrity and Trust – Possesses uncompromising integrity, honesty and unassailable business values and does not ethically cut corners. Treats people fairly and with dignity. Works hard to earn and maintain a high level of trust with the Board, CEO, executive team, and employees.
Personal Accountability – Leads with humility and authenticity. Advocate of open, empathetic and respectful communication with both members and employees. Balanced, with a strong sense of ownership. Uses sound personal judgement to solve problems and make decisions.
Our competitive compensation package includes an attractive base salary, incentive program, and excellent benefits. At Affinity, we focus on providing a Remarkable Employee Experience, a fulsome total rewards package, to support and motivate our employees in delivering a remarkable experience for our member. If required, relocation assistance to Saskatoon or Regina will be provided. Further details will be provided to candidates in the interview process.
We’d love to hear from you
Email a cover letter and tailored resume to Heather Sully at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the job title in the subject line of the email.