Located in the coveted Kootenay region, Heritage Credit Union (HCU) is proud to be one of the longest running community-based credit unions in BC’s Kootenay region. HCU is dedicated to providing full financial services to the local community with branches in Castlegar, Slocan Valley, and the West Boundary. We are committed to being a progressive, financially strong, goal-orientated organization always placing our members and cooperative philosophy first and foremost.
HCU is currently recruiting for the position of Controller to manage the finance and accounting functions of the credit union including its subsidiaries and partnerships. This is a permanent, full-time employment opportunity working from the administration offices located in Castlegar, BC.
Reporting to the CEO, and as a member of the senior management team, this position will provide leadership and direction for the accounting and financial requirements of HCU and its subsidiaries. Key areas of focus will include financial planning, regulatory reporting, accounting, investing, budgeting, and management of financial systems and controls.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participates in the development of annual business plans and goals aligned to the strategic plan, and ensures successful achievement of all objectives.
- Monitors industry trends and maintains current knowledge of credit union financial systems, and legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Manages the full financial year accounting cycle for the credit union.
- Acts as the primary contact for the external audit process.
- Monitors and analyses operating results versus the budget; provides interpretation and investigates, corrects and/or recommends corrective action to management concerning budget variances.
- Provides all required financial reporting – documenting and presenting current and projected financial performance for management, board members, regulators, and other stakeholders.
- Responsible for all financial tools, processes, procedures and ensuring appropriate financial controls are in place; makes recommendations to the CEO where changes in policy are required to address gaps or strengthen existing practices.
- Manages the credit union investment portfolio.
- Manages the accounting administration team.
Qualification and Skill Requirements
The successful candidate will possess post-secondary education in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field, and CPA designation completed or in progress. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Our successful candidate will also demonstrate:
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting and cost control principles, and an understanding of credit union regulatory requirements,
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with staff, members, and suppliers in an effective and diplomatic manner,
- Strong understanding of computer technology, including advanced spreadsheet skills and experience with automated financial and accounting reporting systems,
- Ability to analyze and interpret simple and complex financial data; detail orientated, and demonstration of a high level of accuracy,
- Good organizational skills; demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines,
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
At Heritage Credit Union we are pleased to offer an excellent compensation package as well as the benefits of living in the highly desired Kootenay region. https://www.destinationcastlegar.com/
To learn more about our credit union please visit https://www.heritagecu.ca/
Interested candidates can by apply by quoting posting #03-22 and submitting a cover letter and resume via email by April 25, 2022: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.